- Spiess, A., Mohammad, M.: Sustainable Rural Development as a Function of Physical Environment in the Republic of Niger, in: ECPER Journal for Political and Economic Studies, Vol. 3, No. 22, 1997, p.113 – 129.
- Spiess, A.: Agroforestry for Sustainable Agricultural Production and Environmental Enhancement - An Overview, in: Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources (eds.): Agroforestry for Sustainable Agricultural Production and Environmental Improvement, March 1995, p. 228 - 244. [Proceedings of the Training Workshop on Agroforestry and Land Management, organized by Federal Agricultural Coordinating Unit (FACU) and in collaboration with Afforestation Programme Coordinating Unit (APCU), National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services (NAERLS), Kano, March 20-25, 1998]
- Spiess, A.: The Role of Environmental Degradation in Population Displacement and Conflict in the Drylands of Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) with Special Reference to Northern Nigeria", in: Revista Sociedade & Natureza - Special Issue -"Caminhos de Geografia", May 2005.
- Spiess, A., Al-Darwish, Fareed H.: The Role of Overgrazing as an Anthropogenic Cause of Desertification in the GCC Countries: a Comparative Study of the Situation in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, 2005 [Proceedings of the International Conference on Human Impacts on Soil Quality Attributes In Arid and Semi – Arid Regions, Isfahan University of Technology, Iran]
- Spiess, A.: Developing adaptive capacity for responding to environmental change in the Arab Gulf States: Uncertainties to linking ecosystem conservation, sustainable development and society in authoritarian rentier economies, in: Global and Planetary Change 64 (2008) pp. 244–252.
- Spiess, A.: “Prioritizing Climate Change Adaptation Needs for Food Security: Constraints to New Initiatives for the Arabian Peninsula”. Conference Policy Paper presented at “Climate Adaptation in the Middle East and North Africa: Challenges and Opportunities”, May 3-4, 2010, Harvard Kennedy School of Governance, USA (Available Online)
- Spiess, A.: Demographic Transitions and Imbalances in the GCC: Security Risks, Constraints and Policy Challenges. Conference Policy Paper presented at the 2010 Exeter Gulf Studies Conference: The 21st-Century Gulf: The Challenge of Identity, 30 June – 3 July 2010. Available Online and updated publication forthcoming in Security Dialogue (PRIO))
- Spiess, A.: Environmental Degradation, Climate Uncertainties and Human Vulnerabilities - Realm of Possible Actions toward a Shifting Security Paradigm in the Arab Gulf Monarchies, in: Scheffran, J., Brzoska, M., Brauch, H.G., Link, P. M., Schilling, J.: Climate Change, Human Security and Violent Conflict - Challenges to Societal Stability. Hexagon Series on Human and Environmental Security and Peace. Berlin: Springer, 2012, p. 387 – p. 408.
- Spiess, A.: Food Security in the GCC, in: Ramady, Mohamed A. (ed.): The GCC Economies: Stepping Up To Future Challenges, Springer, 2012
- Spiess, A.: Tourism Development and Heritage Preservation in the Gulf Economies (currently under review with World Development – Elsevier).
- Spiess, A.: Urban Vulnerability and Good Governance: The Challenge of Climate Change Mitigation through Urban Planning and Development in Saudi Arabia (currently under review with Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change – Springer)
- Spiess, A.: Environmental Threats and Vulnerability in the Gulf: Adapting the Regional Security Discourse to Climate Uncertainties? (currently under review with Security Dialogue – PRIO)
Monographs for Cumulative Habilitation
- Spiess, A.: “Tourism Development and Human Security in Saudi Arabia: Policy Challenges and Opportunities” (working title – Routledge- forthcoming 2014)
- Spiess, A.: “Marginalizing the Self: Social Cohesion, Human Agency and Development in the United Arab Emirates“ (IB Tauris - forthcoming 2014)
- Spiess, A.: Food Security in the GCC - Competing Ideologies of Sovereignty, Dependency and Sustainability (working title - Springer – forthcoming 2015)
- Spiess, A., Al-Mubarak, F., Weber, A., (eds): Sustainable Tourism Development in the Gulf: Reconciling Economic Growth, Conservation and Sustainable Development, New York: Springer, 2013
- Spiess, A., Weber, A. (eds.): “Youth Unemployment, Tertiary Education and Labor Market Needs in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Member States: Bridging the Gap” (Routledge - forthcoming 2014)